At least four killed after massive Russian drone and missile attack on Kyiv

At least four killed after massive Russian drone and missile attack on Kyiv

At least four killed after massive – On the morning of Sunday, May 24, 2026, Kyiv faced a series of intense overnight strikes that left at least four fatalities and injured dozens of others. The assault targeted key areas across the city, including government facilities, residential zones, and educational institutions. Officials confirmed the attack had spread to surrounding regions, resulting in additional casualties beyond the capital.

The barrage of drones and missiles shook structures throughout the city center, with reports of damage to both commercial and residential properties. Among the hardest-hit areas was the Shevchenko district, where a school building sustained harm during the attack. Many residents were inside the facility at the time, prompting concerns over the safety of civilian populations. Supermarkets and warehouses in Kyiv were also reported to have suffered damage, according to local authorities.

Kyiv’s mayor, Vitali Klitschko, shared updates via Telegram, stating that 56 individuals were wounded during the assault. Of these, 30 required hospitalization, highlighting the scale of the impact. The mayor emphasized the relentless nature of the strikes, which continued past sunrise. “The Kyiv region is once again facing a large-scale enemy attack with strike drones, cruise missiles, and ballistic missiles,” he said in a statement, underscoring the ongoing threat to the city.

“Tonight Kyiv region is once again enduring a mass enemy attack with strike drones, cruise missiles and ballistic missiles,” said Mykola Kalashnyk, the head of the regional ministry administration.

The attack, which began in the early hours, disrupted daily life and caused widespread panic. Residents were forced to evacuate buildings as the bombardment intensified. Kyiv military administration head Tymur Tkachenko confirmed that damage was recorded in at least nine districts, with the Shevchenko district being a focal point. He described the situation as critical, noting the destruction of critical infrastructure and the potential for further casualties.

Among the most alarming aspects of the strike was the use of the nuclear-capable Oreshnik missile, a weapon previously deployed in Ukraine. Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy confirmed that Russia had utilized the missile in Sunday’s assault, marking its first appearance in Kyiv. The Defence Ministry of Russia also acknowledged the use of the Oreshnik, reinforcing the scale of the attack.

“Tonight Kyiv region is once again enduring a mass enemy attack with strike drones, cruise missiles and ballistic missiles,” said Mykola Kalashnyk, the head of the regional ministry administration.

The Oreshnik missile, known for its hypersonic speed, was initially introduced in November 2024 when it struck the city of Dnipro. It was subsequently used again in January 2025 in the Lviv region, demonstrating Russia’s evolving tactics. President Vladimir Putin highlighted the missile’s capabilities, stating it travels at 10 times the speed of sound and can destroy underground bunkers buried up to three or four floors deep. “It moves like a meteorite, bypassing all missile defense systems,” he remarked, emphasizing its destructive potential even with conventional warheads.

Zelenskyy had previously warned of the impending threat, citing intelligence that suggested a possible strike using hypersonic multiple-warhead missiles. This warning came a day before the attack, indicating the Ukrainian leadership’s awareness of the escalating danger. The use of the Oreshnik in Kyiv underscores the increasing sophistication of Russian weaponry, which has been a hallmark of the conflict since the full-scale invasion began in 2022.

Russia has intensified its bombardment campaigns, launching mass attacks with drones and missiles almost daily. These strikes have frequently targeted civilian infrastructure, such as schools and hospitals, raising concerns about the humanitarian toll. The latest assault on Kyiv is part of a broader strategy to destabilize the capital and test Ukraine’s defensive capabilities.

The attack also coincided with Moscow’s warnings about Ukraine’s actions. Earlier in the week, Russia accused Kyiv of launching a strike that killed 18 people in Starobilsk, a Russian-occupied area in eastern Ukraine. Ukraine denied targeting civilians, claiming the attack had hit a Rubicon drone unit stationed in the region. This incident added to the tensions between the two nations, with Russia vowing “inevitable and severe punishment” for what it described as a deliberate assault on its forces.

As the conflict enters its fourth year, the use of advanced weaponry like the Oreshnik has become a focal point of military strategy. These missiles, capable of striking with precision and speed, represent a significant escalation in the war. Kyiv’s resilience in the face of such attacks has been a key factor in the ongoing struggle, with officials working to protect civilians and maintain essential services.

The U.S.-led efforts to mediate an end to the war have faced setbacks in recent months. With attention shifting to the Middle East conflict, Washington has slowed its diplomatic engagement with Ukraine. This has left Kyiv to rely on its own defenses and international allies to counter the continued barrage of strikes. The recent attack on Kyiv serves as a reminder of the challenges ahead in achieving a lasting peace.

In the aftermath of the strikes, Kyiv residents expressed a mix of fear and determination. “We are used to the noise, but the fear is real,” said one local. Despite the destruction, the city’s infrastructure remains a target of relentless assaults, with officials urging citizens to stay alert. The attack highlights the growing intensity of the war, as Russia seeks to push further into Ukrainian territory and test the resolve of the capital’s defenders.

Thomas Jackson

Cyber Defense Strategist | Threat Intelligence Analyst Thomas Jackson is a cyber defense strategist with experience in threat intelligence analysis and security operations center (SOC) workflows. He has supported organizations in building proactive detection capabilities. At CyberSecArmor, Thomas writes about cyber threat intelligence, SIEM optimization, SOC best practices, and advanced cyber defense methodologies.

106 article(s) published